Skip to main content

'Us' and 'Them'

I remember a 10-year-old me trying diligently to submit a gender-neutral school essay using his/her, he/she wherever possible. It seemed unfair how skewed the language was towards the male pronouns. 

A little while later, I came across the concept of 'Hijra'. As a child, I thought that they were men dressed as women. But then, I was told that they were 'cursed to be neither male nor female'. People feared and ridiculed them, and prayed that a Hijra child not be born to them. Such a shame that would be, and the Hijras would come and take their offspring away.

Now, if the English language was unfair to women, it totally lacked the vocabulary to adequately address this community. 'Why should a creation of God be feared and ridiculed?', I would think. Why is there so much stigma attached to a natural phenomenon that parents are forced to send their Hijra children away? Why can't they live normal lives, study, work, play like the rest of us? They are humans after all, with a right to lead dignified lives. But alas! Such provisions didn't exist in our society. So unfair.

And then, one fine day, a curious teenager me, got to know that there are men who fall in love with men, and women who fall in love with women. They are called gays and lesbians, I was told. And these guys were perverts and sinners, I was told. So, at least the Hijras were naturally occurring. But the homosexuals were downright diabolical!

Again, my feminist brain refused to buy this argument. How can loving someone be a sin? Homosexuals have no voluntary control over their sexuality. Homosexuality is not a psychiatric disorder. It cannot be 'cured'. Being homosexual is as simple as being left handed - which by the way, was also considered ungodly until recently. So then why, why must I believe that they are sinners, just because they love differently? And to accord them 'criminals', only because of their sexuality? That's a bit too much, don't you think?

Now, I'm much older, and know a lot more about the LGBTQ community. I know appropriate gender-neutral pronouns for addressing them. And I know for sure that their sexuality or gender identity doesn't make them criminals. What two consenting adults do behind closed doors is nobody's business. It is high time that they are given a dignified place in our society.

To those who say that they are against Indian culture, there have been covert references throughout Indian history towards alternate sexuality and gender identity. Shikhandi who was instrumental in Bhishma's death, Arjun banished to live like a woman, a child born to Vishnu and Shiva, the depiction of androgynous forms such as Ardhanarishwara, they are all proof that 'Bharatiya Sanskriti' has long endorsed the LGBTQ community as a normal part of our lives. The stigma associated with them is fairly recent and definitely needs to go. Repealing Section 377 is the first step in doing so.

Just like us cisgendered, heterosexual humans, 'they' too must be able to live full lives without fear. 'They' must be able to rent homes, have access to healthcare, and forge meaningful relationships. So that gay men don't marry heterosexual women and destroy the lives of all involved. So that they too can lodge complaints if they are abused, and justice prevails. So that the world becomes fairer. And love conquers all.

Comments

  1. Agreed harkeerat! very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A long distance to cover for the government and the society. Not sure if we will be able to see the change in our lifetime

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A few good men

I am, and always will be a staunch feminist. But I am also traditional in many ways, rooted and God fearing. And as I grow older, I see the lines between the binary blurring, with many more shades of grey than just fifty. It is difficult being a woman in India, but it is not easy being a man either. And while feminism is a great ideal to pursue, we must not forget to acknowledge the good men who stand by us, and help us in our fight for gender equality. I have, for long, been itching to write my views on feminism, but given that there are so many written already about it, I feel this is something that takes precedence over it. We feminists don't acknowledge our men enough. And that is not nice of us. It doesn't do us much good. I was raised by two very educated parents who were working full-time. We always had the luxury of a cook and a cleaner at home. My mother, though a good cook, was not expected to spend long hours in the kitchen. If the cook was on leave, everyone pi

Oh the things we do on Facebook!

Are you one of those people who pick up their phones first thing in the morning? It goes everywhere you go, and it has everything you love. Life suddenly becomes meaningless if it were to hang or, God forbid, if the Internet would stop working! You, my friend, are not alone. Welcome to the smartphone age - where phones are getting smarter while people are getting dumber! Chances are, you also have at least one or more chatting and social media apps installed, that keep you hooked. I recently deleted the Facebook app from my phone, lest it become an addiction. It doesn't stop me from logging in every few hours, but at least I'm not jumping in at every notification. I don't claim to be an expert, but there are a few things I have noticed about all that happens on Facebook and other social media sites. Here's a list of points that may come across as relevant to you while you're on social media. Most of you pros will already know them, and as always, this is an extr

Confessions of a 'Fat' girl

It was the third day of college. The ragging sessions were in full swing. Ragging in our college was mostly a fun affair, and a wonderful ice-breaking experience for me. All kinds of silly pranks were being played. During one such session, one of my seniors asked me to go and propose to her male friend sitting some distance away. Unwillingly, I went up to the guy pretending to hold a flower and blurted an 'I love you'. In return, this guy shouted back, 'Arre yaar kisse bhej diya? Size dekh kar toh bhejna tha!' I was mortified, angry and heartbroken. In that moment, it didn't matter if I scored above 90% in CBSE exams. It didn't matter that I was multi-talented. It didn't matter that I was kind and generous. All that mattered was that I was fat... Hello adult life - you sure are harsh! Now let me clarify. I've been chubby since the time I turned a year old, give or take a few months. Partly genetics and partly an insatiable sweet tooth. Add to it the