Skip to main content

Relationship red flags you shouldn't ignore

Relationship advice you hopefully don't need.

Lyrics from a popular Hindi song read, "Wo jawani jawani nahi, jiski koi kahani na ho... (That youth is not the real youth after all, the one that has no story to tell...)".

But no one wants their story to be a sad one. If you've decided to take the plunge, but feel that something is off, don't ignore these red flags.

Image courtesy: Adobe Stock Photos

1. Long periods of absence/ghosting - Modern communication has come a long way. Unless your partner is on a top secret national mission, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to communicate with you. If you experience long periods of silence/absence/ghosting, be prepared to pack your bags and run. If you decide to stay, be prepared to get hurt.

2. Insistence on secrecy - Do they insist on not being seen together in public? You've been dating a while but never met any of their close friends or family? Is there insistence on travelling by road instead of air/train to avoid leaving behind a trail? I see red. 

3. Efforts to cut you off from your support system - This one will not always be immediately obvious. It might begin with simple things like, 'Spend more time with me instead of them'. It'll gradually turn to, 'She's jealous you're dating a great guy. She wants to ruin our relationship.' And then go on to, 'If you want to stay with me, you have to stop talking to them.' These efforts are to take control of your life and to make sure you're trapped. Run, run, run.

4. Indifference - Does your partner care if you have upcoming exams, your health is failing, or you're having financial trouble? Are they willing to invest in you with their time and effort? Do they offer help/solutions if they are in a position to do so? Or do they leave you to fend for yourself? Do they often tell you to grow up and handle it yourself? You know that they know, but they couldn't be bothered. I think you see the flashing red lights.

5. Withholding affection/concealed threats - Affection is the most powerful tool your partner has. They can either use it to make you or break you. Do they deliberately withhold affection when you don't do as they say? Do they make you beg and pine for the love you deserve? Do they test you until you break? Ask you to prove your love? You get the idea.

6. Constant talk of errant 'friends' - If you're gullible, this will be hard to spot. But watch out if they seem to constantly have friends who err. They're likely projecting their own behaviour. And they will likely take a very lenient stance on the erring friend. Normal people will try to distance themselves from such 'friends'. But this person makes it appear like they have no choice, and no better friends than this. It'll be stuff like, 'My 'friend' called the strippers. What can I do?'; 'My 'friend' wants 3 crore dowry. It's his life, he can do what he wants.'; 'I bought these contraceptives for my 'friend'. She has a no-good boyfriend and I wanted to help her.' Watch out and use your common sense. It doesn't take long to put two and two together.

7. Big talk but no concrete action - They have grand plans for everything. The wedding, the travel, the kind of house they want. But their actions don't point to anything concrete. They're the marketing salesperson who is conning you with big talk. Watch out for the faff.

8. Blaming you for wrongdoings you didn't do - Are they quick to blame you for stuff you didn't do? Like talking to a friend becomes cheating. Buying something for yourself becomes wasteful and frivolous. Wearing a slightly shorter dress becomes 'asking for it'. Do they often make you feel ashamed of normal things? Are there double standards? Be very careful. 

9. Abuse - All the above points are emotional abuse. They take a while to understand. But some kinds of abuse are obvious. Verbal and physical abuse. Drunken brawls. Revealing an intention to harm. Be particularly watchful of how they behave after a couple of drinks. Drunk people quickly drop inhibitions and may give out hints at their real behaviour and intent.

10. Trust your gut. Always. - Finally, always trust your gut. You may be too much in love to recognise the signs. When you're in the eye of the storm, you can't see the complete picture. But your heart knows. If it's wrong for you, there will be a constant nagging. There will be a tiny voice in your head telling you to leave. Don't ignore that voice.

Comments

  1. Will help many to take better decisions . Good topic and well laid

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A few good men

I am, and always will be a staunch feminist. But I am also traditional in many ways, rooted and God fearing. And as I grow older, I see the lines between the binary blurring, with many more shades of grey than just fifty. It is difficult being a woman in India, but it is not easy being a man either. And while feminism is a great ideal to pursue, we must not forget to acknowledge the good men who stand by us, and help us in our fight for gender equality. I have, for long, been itching to write my views on feminism, but given that there are so many written already about it, I feel this is something that takes precedence over it. We feminists don't acknowledge our men enough. And that is not nice of us. It doesn't do us much good. I was raised by two very educated parents who were working full-time. We always had the luxury of a cook and a cleaner at home. My mother, though a good cook, was not expected to spend long hours in the kitchen. If the cook was on leave, everyone pi

Oh the things we do on Facebook!

Are you one of those people who pick up their phones first thing in the morning? It goes everywhere you go, and it has everything you love. Life suddenly becomes meaningless if it were to hang or, God forbid, if the Internet would stop working! You, my friend, are not alone. Welcome to the smartphone age - where phones are getting smarter while people are getting dumber! Chances are, you also have at least one or more chatting and social media apps installed, that keep you hooked. I recently deleted the Facebook app from my phone, lest it become an addiction. It doesn't stop me from logging in every few hours, but at least I'm not jumping in at every notification. I don't claim to be an expert, but there are a few things I have noticed about all that happens on Facebook and other social media sites. Here's a list of points that may come across as relevant to you while you're on social media. Most of you pros will already know them, and as always, this is an extr

Confessions of a 'Fat' girl

It was the third day of college. The ragging sessions were in full swing. Ragging in our college was mostly a fun affair, and a wonderful ice-breaking experience for me. All kinds of silly pranks were being played. During one such session, one of my seniors asked me to go and propose to her male friend sitting some distance away. Unwillingly, I went up to the guy pretending to hold a flower and blurted an 'I love you'. In return, this guy shouted back, 'Arre yaar kisse bhej diya? Size dekh kar toh bhejna tha!' I was mortified, angry and heartbroken. In that moment, it didn't matter if I scored above 90% in CBSE exams. It didn't matter that I was multi-talented. It didn't matter that I was kind and generous. All that mattered was that I was fat... Hello adult life - you sure are harsh! Now let me clarify. I've been chubby since the time I turned a year old, give or take a few months. Partly genetics and partly an insatiable sweet tooth. Add to it the